Climate change is such a complex and contentious issue that it can be hard to know where to look for reliable information. We’ve put together a list of resources to help you learn more about climate change:
- For detailed and authoritative information, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) is an essential source. Their Sixth Assessment Report includes three major working group reports and a synthesis report. Also of value is their FAQ relating to the report on the physical science basis of climate change.
- For information focused on the impacts of climate change in Australia, both the BOM and the CSIRO have excellent pages.
- The Royal Society has produced a variety of great resources, including guides, videos, reports and more. In addition to the longer publications, there are also short summaries and videos that provide clear and concise explanations of important issues. All this material can be found here.
- The Australian Academy of Science has a page on the science of climate change that features clear and concise information on how climate change works and the impacts it is having.
- Gavin Schmidt is a climate scientist and science communication advocate. His TED Talk on climate models is both informative and accessible. There is also a variety of good material on his NASA page, which you can find here.
- Nature’s page on climate change provides a variety of detailed academic articles on various issues relating to climate change. It should be noted that some material is blocked by a paywall, but some of the articles are freely accessible.
- The American Association for the Advancement of Science’s What We Know initiative is focused on the three R’s of climate change: reality, risk and response. They provide of variety of resources, including summaries of climate science, reports, news, and interviews with leading scientists.
- RealClimate provides a running commentary on climate change issues from working climate scientists. They provide insightful responses to climate stories as they develop. You can find their page here.
- The Climate Reality Project is committed to raising awareness about climate change and motivating people to take action. Their page provides a variety of resources for learning about climate change and attending and organising events to take action on climate issues.
- The Skeptical Science page provides in-depth investigations into climate change skeptics. It features a range of resources, including a very useful section looking at the ten most commonly used climate myths.
- This page on IOP Science features an informative video on the consensus on global warming. It also includes an in-depth article and valuable supplementary data.
back to top